Officials disclose cause of Walsh Hall fire

Officials disclose cause of Walsh Hall fire Click to Enlarge

A March 2nd fire at a UND Walsh Hall dorm room was caused by an unattended candle that ignited a towel.

That’s according to an investigation by the Grand Forks Fire Department, which said five-to-six-foot flames from the candle, towel and some cardboard near a bed activated the fire alarm and sprinkler system.

The F-D says residents tried unsuccessfully to douse the fire with a wet towel before the Fire Department was notified. Two sprinkler heads then activated, and extinguished the fire.

Officials say the sprinklers minimized building damage to $35,000, with $500 worth of contents lost.

The fire department says Walsh Hall is valued at $2.5 million, and has a total content value of $750,000.

Leave a comment